Hermeneutics (hur-muh-noo-tiks) n. [Grk.]: the craft of interpreting Scripture
7 Questions to Ask Every Passage
- Who is the author and who is his audience?
- Why is the author writing and what is his burden for his audience?
- How does this verse connect to the rest of the chapter and the book thewhole storyline of the Bible?
- What does the language of the passage highlight and draw attention to?(e.g., parallels, word pictures, specific details, repetitive words/phrases)
- What does this reveal about the nature of God and the nature ofmankind?
- How does this passage reveal our need for a Savior and God??sdisposition to provide a Savior?
- What response or action does this passage call for?
From New Attitude 2008