Directions from Lamy Pen USA:
1. Place the entire nib in the ink bottle.
2. Fill the converter.
3. Expel the ink.
4. Fill the converter a second time.
5. Let the entire nib sit in the ink for an additional 5 seconds.
6. Withdraw the nib unit from the ink bottle, expel 3-4 drops of ink by turning the converter knob counter-clockwise.
7. Turn converter knob clockwise until it stops. **This is critical as it allows an air space between the ink and converter and assists in the even flow of the displacement of ink by air as you write.
8. Wipe off the nib assembly, assemble pen and you are ready to write.